Where was Hill 60 located?

Where was Hill 60 located?

Hill 60 RestaurantBattle of Hill 60 / LocationHill 60 is a World War I battlefield memorial site and park in the Zwarteleen area of Zillebeke south of Ypres, Belgium. It is located about 4.6 kilometres from the centre of Ypres and directly on the railway line to Comines. Before the First World War the hill was known locally as Côte des Amants. Wikipedia

What was unique about the battle at Hill 60?

At 3:10 a.m. on 7 June 1917, a mines filled with 443 long tons; 450 t (450 t) of explosives, were detonated under the German lines. The blasts created one of the largest explosions in history, reportedly heard in London and Dublin, demolishing a large part of the hill and killing c. 10,000 German soldiers.

How much explosive was in Hill 60?

One under Hill 60 was filled with 53,300 pounds of Ammonal explosives; a second branch, under what was known as ‘the Caterpillar’, was filled with 70,000 pounds of explosives. To try to solve the problems of the wet soil, the mines were dug through blue clay 80-120ft below the surface.

When was Hill 60 blown up?

7 June 1917
At 3:10am on 7 June 1917, British forces simultaneously blew up 19 mines as the opening move in the Messines attack. The Hill 60 mine created a crater 60 feet (18m) deep and 260 feet (79m) wide. The German front-line troops were overwhelmed.

How did the Battle of Ypres get its name?

The Battle of Ypres was a series of engagements during the First World War, near the Belgian city of Ypres, between the German and the Allied armies (Belgian, French, British Expeditionary Force and Canadian Expeditionary Force).

Why was it called Hill 60?

The WW1 battle area known as Hill 60 was so called on British military maps because the contoured height of the ground was marked at 60 metres above sea level. This high ground was man-made in the 1850s, having been created by the spoil from the cutting for the railway line between Ypres and Comines.

Where was the Battle of Hill 60 Gallipoli?

Ottoman Empire
Gallipoli Peninsula
Battle of Hill 60/Locations

How many lives were lost on both sides at the Battle of the Somme?

Casualties topped 1 million, including the deaths of more than 300,000. British troops sustained 420,000 casualties—including 125,000 deaths—during the Battle of the Somme. The casualties also included 200,000 French troops and 500,000 German soldiers.

What were the conditions like in Hill 60?

Conditions were cold, cramped and often waterlogged, with a high rate of ‘trench foot’. A team of three rotated in shifts and typically included a ‘kicker’ lying on a 45 degree angle at the face, a ‘bagger’ who filled sandbags, and a ‘trammer’ who removed overburden on a trolley and returned with timber.

How many ww2 veterans are still alive in Australia?

The number of living Australian Second World War veterans has halved since 2019. According to a study by family search website Ancestry and YouGov, 7800 remain.

Who fought at the Battle of Hill 60?

21 August 1915 Hill 60 was the last offensive action fought by the New Zealanders during the Gallipoli campaign. The ‘abominable little hill’, as it was dubbed by Brigadier-General Andrew Russell, saw bitter fighting between New Zealand and Ottoman troops in late August 1915.

Who owns Hill 60 in Belgium?

administered by the Municipality of Ieper and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Hill 60 is a World War I battlefield memorial site and park in the Zwarteleen area of Zillebeke south of Ypres, Belgium. It is located about 4.6 kilometres (2.9 mi) from the centre of Ypres and directly on the railway line to Comines.

Was Hill 60 really captured by the Germans?

The German account recorded that Hill 60 had been captured but Lieutenant-General Dubois (the 9e Corps d’Armée commander) and other witnesses denied this. When British troops relieved the French in the area on the night of 1/2 February 1915, the hill was certainly held by the Germans.

Is Hill 60 open to the public?

Hill 60 and The Caterpillar are designated a battlefield memorial site and open to the public. The area was merged into the municipality of Zillebeke in 1970 and into the city of Ypres in 1976. In spring 2015, extensive repairs were carried out at the memorial park.

How deep under the German lines was Hill 60 mined?

Deep mining under the German galleries beneath Hill 60 began in late August 1915, with the 175th Tunnelling Company, which began a gallery 220 yards (200 m) behind the British front line and passed 90 feet (27 m) beneath the German positions.